Click on any of the picture to see bigger version.
This plot is about 15m long on 9m wide, with an additional 5m x 3m
corner (a map can be found here). When I moved in, it had been
completely left alone for at least 5 years (according to the
It was covered with high vegetation (mostly grasses) and a large part
was invaded by brambles. No path or previous landscaping were
visible. In addition, the roof had been repaired the year before and
scaffoldings had compacted the soil a great deal. Also, I found loads
of building material scatterd all around the garden
The garden is very badly exposed: the sun is constantly hidden by the
house from east to west. In winter, no sun at all, and in summer, just
a couple of hours right at the back.
To make things worse, there were 2 relatively big leylandii trees on
the side. These were making the garden very dark and damp, and one of
the first decisions I made was to cut them down.
One and a half month later, the two trees were cut down and I managed
to dig over almost the entire garden.
And finally (at last!) it was planting time! We ar now in spring 2002.
I prepared the central area for a new lawn and started to plant a few
shrubs and perennials.
And here are a few pictures of the final result in summer 2002:
And in summer 2003:
For a lot more pictures, see Bruntsfield Garden.
Back to Garden
Back to Gogo's homepage